Wednesday 19 September 2012

Coronation Charter of King Henry II

Henry, by the grace of God, king of England, duke of Normandy and Aquitaine and count of Anjou, to all the earls, barons, and his faithful, French and English, greeting.

Know that, to the honour of God and of the holy church and for the advantage of my whole kingdom, I have conceded and granted, and by my present charter confirmed  to God and to the holy church, and to all the earls and barons, and to  all my men all the concessions and grants and liberties and free customs which King Henry, my grandfather, gave and conceded to them.  Similarly also, all the evil customs which he abolished and remitted, I remit and allow to be abolished for myself and my heirs. Therefore, I  will and strictly require that the holy church and all the earls and  barons, and all my men should have and hold all those customs and grants and liberties and free customs, freely and quietly, well and in peace, and completely, from me and my heirs to them and their heirs,  as freely and quietly and fully in all things as King Henry, my grandfather, granted and conceded to them and by his charter confirmed them.  Witness, Richard de Luci, at Westminster.
[Many of the legal phrases and clauses as used in this document are stock phrases and clauses as used these type of documents, and are found in many such documents of the period. ]


References



Henry I's Charter

Henry II's Charter







 Rapin de Thoyras (Paul, M.) (1743). The history of England. J. and P. Knapton. pp. 284–.



Wilfred Lewis Warren (1973). Henry II. University of California Press. pp. 262–. ISBN 978-0-520-02282-9.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.