Sunday, 15 September 2013

St. Andrew's Priory, Northampton

St. Andrew's Priory, Northampton, a Cluniac establishment was used by archbishop Thomas Becket as his lodgings during his trial in October 1164. The Priory was very close to the Castle where the trial took place.

Location:

John  Speed Plan of Northamtpon 1610
B marks the location of St. Andrew's 
English Heritage Plan of Northampton Showing  the Location of Monastic Establishments
References


R.M. Serjeantson, W.R.D. Adkins (Editors).
A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 2 (pp. 102-109).
"Houses of Cluniac monks - The priory of St Andrew, Northampton" 

William Dugdale; John Caley; sir Henry Ellis; Bulkeley Bandinel (1849). Monasticon Anglicanum: A History of the Abbies and Other Monasteries, Hospitals, Frieries, and Cathedral and Collegiate Churches, with Their Dependencies, in England and Wales ... Originally Published in Latin. pp. 185–.


No comments:

Post a Comment